Sunday, October 19, 2014

Here's What I Know

Within an hour of right now, I will be set apart as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints with a purpose and call to serve for 18 months in the Micronesia Guam Mission.  It's so funny how 5 months has gone by so fast, from the time I graduated college to when I received my call, to me reporting to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, UT this Wednesday.

Life has been crazy.  Life has been full.  Life will soon change.

Time before the mission seems to go by in spurts of slow and fast.  Some moments can't get over soon enough, and others you just want to bottle up and freeze time for a while. But above all, it's allowed for reflection.  I think of all the preparation that has gone into this moment.  The preparation of teachers, friends, parents, and loved ones has helped shape how I have personally prepared for this mission.  I am so grateful for the examples that have been set, the choices that have been made, and the loving words that have been spoken to encourage me to be the best disciple I could be.  My primary teachers taught me I was a child of God.  My Young Women leaders reminded me I was a daughter of God.  Visiting teachers have reminded me that God does not forget His children.  Roommates reminded me that we are never alone.  Friends have reminded me of my worth.  Family has reminded me how to love.  My Parents have taught me who to be.  And to all these people I will be forever grateful.

Okay.  Real talk.  I'm scared.  I'm scared of the unknown, what I'll do, how well I'll do it, and if I'll be good at it at all.  I fear being forgotten.  That lives will pass on blissfully without me present in them. However, I also know that what I'm doing is a great work, and that I have been divinely chosen for this call.  And that brings me peace, comfort and assurance.

In the October 2014 General Conference, Elder Jorg Klebingat said, "Acknolwedge and face your weaknesses, but don't be a immobilized by them."  I know that just as faith can allow us to do amazing things, fear can paralyze us.  But, as we act in patience with faith, we will be richly blessed. Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, "Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!"

So.  I have weaknesses.  You have weaknesses.  We all suffer from them, whether they be physical, mental or spiritual.  But to the best of our capacity, we should never allow these weakness to paralyze us.  As we continue in patience and exercise faith in humility, we will be richly blessed.

I end with the words of Jeffery R. Holland from his talk, The First Great Commandment:

"Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world...So we have neighbors to bless, children to protect, the poor to lift up, and the truth to defend. We have wrongs to make right, truths to share, and good to do. In short, we have a life of devoted discipleship to give in demonstrating our love of the Lord. We can’t quit and we can’t go back. After an encounter with the living Son of the living God, nothing is ever again to be as it was before. The Crucifixion, Atonement, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ mark the beginning of a Christian life, not the end of it. It was this truth, this reality, that allowed a handful of Galilean fishermen-turned-again-Apostles without “a single synagogue or sword” to leave those nets a second time and go on to shape the history of the world in which we now live."



God lives.  And He sent His beloved Son to Earth so that we could learn of Him.  He sent His son to die for us.  For you and for me.  And because of that love, that infinite and eternal and all encompassing love, we can someday be like Him.  We can someday live with Him.

And at the end of the day, that's a pretty awesome truth to know.

'Till next time.







Emily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment